WELCOME TO AVID AT MATHER!
Advancement Via Individual Determination ("AVID") is a national program used in nearly 4,500 schools nationwide and in 16 countries and territories. AVID's mission is to close the achievement gap by preparing all students for college readiness and success in a global society.
For more information about AVID at Mather, see the upcoming events and quarterly newsletter attached below or click on the appropriate link on the right side of this page.
AVID students did the following by the end of the 2014-2015 school year:
- The class of 2015 completed 300+ college apps, along with FAFSA & scholarship apps.
- The class of 2015 earned $500,000 in scholarships.
- The class of 2016 increased ACT scores by an average of 2.62 points.
- The class of 2017 earned 2,318 service learning hours.
- 68% of AVID seniors and 53% of AVID juniors attempted AP classes and exams.
AVID EVENTS FOR THE 2014-2015 SCHOOL YEAR:
- Thursday (9/18) - All Grades - Contract Signing Party during 1st period
- Saturday (10/18) - Sophomores - Service Learning Project #1
- Wednesday (10/29) - Freshmen - Teamcorps Day Trip
- Tuesday & Wednesday (11/17-11/18) - Freshmen - Teamcorps Overnight Trip
- Saturday (12/6) - Sophomores - Service Learning Project #2
- Saturday (2/7) - Sophomores - Service Learning Project #3
- Saturday (4/25) - Sophomores - Service Learning Project #4
- Thursday (5.14) - Freshmen trip to Northwestern & North Park
- Saturday (5/16) - Sophomore car wash charity event
- Tuesday (5/19) - Juniors trip to NIU
- Thursday (5/28) - Sophomore open gym charity event
- Friday (6/5) - End-of-Year HR Assembly
- Tuesday (6/9) - AVID Senior Night
CHAPERONES NEEDED FOR THESE PROJECTS AND FIELD TRIPS
Please contact us if you are interested in chaperoning one of our trips!
- There are no more projects this year. Check back next school year as we'd love the help!
AVID ELECTIVE TEACHERS FOR THE 2015-2016 SCHOOL YEAR:
Mr. Daniel Izzo
Email contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mrs. Elizabeth King
Mr. Daniel Rutkowski
Program Coordinator & Juniors
Mrs. Suzanne VanKersen
Email contact: email@example.com